Saturday, July 12, 2014

Why I'm All for Cell Phones but my Computer Geek Uncle Isn't

I'm all for cell phones. What did we ever do without them? I don't even remember how I communicated before owning one. My computer geek uncle on the other hand, isn't into them at all. He never owned one, and he just turned 75 this year. 


About My Uncle


His first name is Bob, and he's the one who I learned quite a bit of my technical knowledge from in the past decade. Also, he built most of my PCs for me ever since I started my freelance business about eight and a half years ago.

As obsessed as he is with computers, electronics and sound systems; he doesn't want a mobile device. He says, "maybe some day" he'll get a cell phone but not right now. However, his refusal to get one became a problem today. 

About two hours ago, my uncle agreed to stop over by my place and pick up my desktop tower. He told me awhile ago he wanted to upgrade it with more memory. If he does, it'll make it easier for me to use my Adobe products. It'll also have less interrupted play when I watch movies and TV, and I can open even more browsing windows -- as if I really need to do that much at once. My uncle advises against multitasking, but I do it anyway, which is why he probably decided to upgrade my PC to 8 gigs. Besides, he does too much on his machines sometimes, too! He knows the necessity of having enough RAM. 

He's great with computers. However, I had a heck of a time waiting for him to show up to my house. I forgot how to watch for someone who doesn't yet know where I live. I'm used to people just calling me when they come down my street. 


In my Uncle's Defense, I Didn't Do My Part


I should've waited outside for my uncle knowing he was going to be at my house in 10-15 minutes. After all, he hadn't been over to visit since I moved to the location where I am now. 

However, I didn't wait outdoors. I wanted to sit in front of my fan instead of on the hot porch. Besides, I thought I could see him through the front or side window. I also I figured he had a horn. 

Because I stayed inside, I had to watch him pull in and out of driveways on one side of my house and then the other. Then, I saw him drive up one side of the street and back down the other and then down the other intersecting street and the other. After I failed to flag him down twice, I realize this was not as easy as anticipated. 

Since my uncle didn't have a cell phone, I should've stood out there from the get-go. I should've waited on the corner, in fact. On the other hand, why doesn't he get a cell phone?


My Case for Mobile Devices

People often joke about how we have mobile devices and still ignore our calls. That's a good point. But I like the fact that I can't hear my voicemail recording messages unlike when using old-school answering machines. Besides, I want mobile convenience, even if I avoid over half my calls. 

Not only that, but fully-charged devices with the ringer on, can be quite useful. I especially like having them so someone can find my house. If only I could convince my uncle to get one. 



No comments: